My Mood
    Daring
    Evening All.

I've been using a Black Ice Pro 2 that came with my original Asetek WaterChill Kit back in 2003 however I am now concerned that it may now be insufficient for my needs, it's performance may have declined over the years due to usage and damage to the fins.

My question is this, which of the following two would I be better off using: The Black Ice Pro 2 or a Black Ice GT Xtreme 120?

From what I can see the Black Ice GT Xtreme 120 is double the thickness but I am unable to find its BTU rating.
    My BIP2 has a rating of 2856 BTU/PH or 837W/PH.

Main System Components -
    Case: Antec 1200
    CPU: AM2 940 BE @3GHz (WC by D-Tek FuZion v2)
    GFX: Sapphire RADEON HD 4890 1GB Vapor-X (WC by EK FC4890 Sapphire FC)

I'm using a Asetek WaterChill Standard 12V Pump/Reservoir.
    | GIGABYTE Z78-UD4H | INTEL i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz (WC) | Corsair Vengence 16GB 1600Mhz C9 |
    | AMD RADEON HD7970 @ 1GHz /1475MHz (WC) | 512GB OCZ Vector | Corsair AX850 PSU |
    | Corsair 800D | XSPC RX480 + Thermochill TA120.3 | EK Supremacy CSQ (Cu) | EK-FC7970 (EN) |

SpecialTech Mod
    Buying a second hand rad on eBay, the seller was, shall we say tad less than honest about its condition, and the fins on one side were bent to b*****y, a wooden kebab skewer and half an hour later it was, well, not good as new, but perfectly serviceable.

Always take manufacturers thermal ratings with a pinch of salt. Not saying they lie, but they use "ideal" conditions; ideal to them that is. I'd advise looking here, here, and here to get an idea of what the state of play is - divide and/or multiply at will to make direct comparisons and calculations.

Additionally with many rads it is (to a greater or lesser degree) a case of matching the fans to the radiator, generally speaking the higher the FPI of the rad, the higher the static pressure and CFM of the fan.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Run some cleaner through it, take asura's advice on the kebab sticks and combine that with a can of air and it'll be good as new. It's a simple conduction based system so with a bit of cleaning you won't lose performance :)

Edit: If your Black Ice 2 is indeed the standard 2x120mm and you're using that to cool an OC'd GPU and OC'd CPU I wouldn't advise dropping to a 120mm rad regardless of the claimed performance. If you're running all that on a single 120mm rad then you're a lunatic :D

Thread Information