Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Monitoring temps in water cooling

I'm had a Scythe fan controller, worked great for air cooling adjusting automatically when the case got hot, since moving to water its been redundent, temp sensors in the air around the case not doing much.

I guess I need a water temp sensor, is a single sensor in the res going to give me the readings I need or do I need a couple in different parts of the loop?

Currently the fan controllers on manual, crank it up for games, down for anything else.

I've been thinking on the aquaero 5, wanted the last one but couldn't justify the cost, is it worth it? I would have 8 gentle Typhoons, mix of 1450 and 1850, and a couple of others with a D5 pump.

Cheers

by no means an expert but as I understand it the water should flow quickly enough round your loop for it to be all of the same temperature. So one sensor should be fine, however I have seen loops, on these forums, where people use two.

My Mood
    Lurking
    The water temperature differences are to small to trigger the fan controller if you want the controller.
    Am i reading that right?, you want to use the water temp to control rpm.

I had the controller on auto when air cooling, when I was just surfing net, doing work etc, low load stuff the fans ran at half speed and quiet. When I started gaming everything heats up, the fan controller automatically ramped up the fan speed up to max to keep things cool and then dropped down to quiet half speed once i had gone back to low load stuff and the temp had cooled.

Since water cooling its not been very effective, I seem to be changing everything manually, mainly based on noise. I assumed that air cooling measure air temp, water cooling measure water temp (but I admit that does sound a little to simple)

I have recently connected most of the fans to the mobo fan headers and using fanxpert software that came with the board the fans increase and decrease depending on the temprature of the componant. This seems better as really the only temp that is important is the component temps. This does mean I have no really controll over the speeds if I want, I liked having the fan controller giving me temps and being able to adjust fan speed to suit the noise level I wanted but to be able to check at a glance the temps so that I know when I need to add some extra cooling.

Form my testing i use 2 temps in a loop ,1 line in a rad and 1 line out of rad they will normally be a 1 to 3c different in temps depending on rad and how well you have it linked up. I allso found after the pump there is normally a 0.5 to 1c difference in water temp as well.

My Mood
    Busy
    I use two sensors per loop, one sensor is placed on each of the (hot) outlets from the CPU & GPU blocks & the other sensors are placed at the pump (cold) inlets after the water leaves the Rads. While just surfing or doing general type stuff the temp differences are only around 0.5°c (sometimes less) while heavy stressing is going on the temp differences are around 1°c to 3°c as Mayhems has said :), but even that can close up abit after afew hours of heavy constant usage....
    I use an Aquaero to control my fans e.t.c & it works a treat, as your able to adjust when the fans start to rack up the RPM to a particular water temp & I have found it too be pretty damn smart (accurate) at keeping things very cool & pretty damned quite (am running 7 x 120mm & 2 x 140's fans) as it only increases fan speed in very smallish steps to keep the temps down to an ideal setting that you can choose :)

N.
    "Man on the Streets Reviews" My Unbiased take on what Kit I can get my hands on so if your at a loose end & want a read this is the place to go ...

wow that Aquaero 5 is cool, and i wouldn't even really say that expensive for the amount of effort gone into it (but of course expensive as a fan controller)

My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by add1ct3dd View Post
    wow that Aquaero 5 is cool, and i wouldn't even really say that expensive for the amount of effort gone into it (but of course expensive as a fan controller)
    Yeh I guess it is quite expensive & I have an extra Aquaero Power Ajust also, because of the amount of fans running, as well as two Pumps.
    It monitors all I got :) 2xPumps, 2xFlow meters,4xInline Temp sensors, 9xFans, Inside Case Air temps & Room temps... So more than enough to play with LOL...:D....
    I would recommend getting the remote control with the Aquaero5, makes things a little easier setting it up e.t.c, I'll go through that in more detail when I finnish my little review I'm doing of the Aquaero 5XT within the next week hopefully, It's about half done :)

N.
    "Man on the Streets Reviews" My Unbiased take on what Kit I can get my hands on so if your at a loose end & want a read this is the place to go ...

I agree the Aquaero 5 does look great, totally overkill, so should appeal to everyone here!, The one thing I have a problem with is there are so many options, power adjust, multiswitch etc, I haven't a clue on what I need to do what. Doesn't help that half the information you find is in German, the rest is badly translated German! I want it to monitor 9 fans GT 1450 and 1850, possibly more if I go push/pull on the rads, flow meter, 1 or 2 inline temp sensors, a couple of air sensors and my D5 pump. does any one know if I can do that just off the Aquaero 5 or do I need to get extras. Price is high to start off with, you start adding extras and you're over £200 without trying - for a fan controller.

Got to love the remote controll and that you can get a water block for it!

My Mood
    Busy
    As you can see from my post above (#8) I'm running 9 fans e.t.c & all I needed was one "Aquaero Power Ajust" along side the main AQ5. I'm running 2 x Scythe Kama Flow2 (1900rpm) fans from each fan headers #1,2 & 3 (6 fans in Total on these headers), 2 x Xigmatek 140's (1000rpm) on # 4 fan header, 6 x heat sensors (it has pins for 8 sensors) 1 x Flow meter all on the main unit.

As you see here there are still two heatsensor headers free with six being used...

The "Power Ajust" add on has 1 x Scythe Kama flow2 (1900rpm) on its fan header, 1 x Flow meter & 1 x heat sensor all connected up to the main unit through it's aquabus connection lead.. Thats how mines set up.......How ever....... you do have the option as well, to run a "Flow sensor" from the "Fan Header #1 instead of fans..
    I have found I can run 2 x fans from each "fan header" (4 fan headers on main unit & 1 fan header on the power ajust) without the VRM chips (2 x fan headers per VRM chip) getting too hot (I have not put the water block on yet as Speckles ain't got one in stock) which are just air cooled at the moment.. If I did choose to add more fans e.t.c e.t.c it would just be acase of adding another 1 or 2 "Power Ajust" depending how much your adding...
    As for the Pumps I run the RPM of them through the Motherboard fan connectors just for the rpm (the flow meters are what get connected to the Aquaero & the shut down or warning alarm is activated when & if the flow gets below a certain set amount) which in turn tells you there's something up with the pumps or not, so abit pointless in my opinion to attach the pumps themselfs to the Aquaero, they'd just take up 2 x connectors for telling you the same thing as the flow meters if you see what I mean...:)

Anyway hope I've not confussed the issue with my ramblings here ;) & you get the Idea.....
    I certainly don't see the Aquaero as being "Overkill" for my needs & wants :), It all comes down to what you want monitoring, how much you want to monitor & how you want to control it, I like the option of using the windows aquasuite software as well as being able to ajust the thing from the face plate or Remote & the fact that your able to really make some pretty fine/small ajustments to the settings to suit your particular needs...

N.

Thread Information